Thursday, December 29, 2011

Transition

View from the seventh deck of Naval Hospital Bremerton.


As I move through the indoctrination phase of my staff check-in procedures here at the hospital, I'm slowly but surely feeling the sense of settling creeping in.

I'm becoming a little more familiar with navigating the hospital, and the relaxed atmosphere puts me at ease after having just came from two training commands upon entry into the military, where all I did was serve as the receiving end of being force-fed information and get yelled at by higher-ups.

The area, after some exploring, is becoming familiar, as well, albeit still limited. My appreciation for my new setting increases more and more as the area unfolds and I discover more of its territories and natural majesties, but this is only limited to what I can find in the daytime, and unfortunately the darkness rolls in early.

Sure, it has it downfalls. There is not much in terms of attractions or shops I'd like to visit in the surrounding area, and where I am living now is quite a way's away from the commissary and the NEX, nor is there an accessible standard taxicab service to call upon like Fort Sam Houston.

The accomodations and central location of Fort Sam have spoiled me, and I terribly miss the ease of access of that base. Things here in Bremerton, since I'm not living on the actual Navy base, are much farther away, and much more challenging to get to without access to a personal vehicle.

I guess the need to be able to drive and possess a car is even more urgent now, and hopefully that will be my motivation to acquire those things as soon as possible.

I'm getting more excited to see more of what the future holds the more I stay in this city.

I can't wait to visit Seattle and find my way back to the urban jungle.

I can't wait to experience working in the ward (MS5) or labor-and-delivery (4OB) and see what I can learn from it.

I can't wait to gather my bearings and get settled within this command.

I can't wait to explore the outdoors and see new things I otherwise would have never seen before.

I can't wait to go back to feeling on top again.